“To listen well is as powerful a means of communication and influence as to talk well”John Marshall (Politician)
Teacher: Angel L. Vidal-Alonso Lessons: 4 /week
It is the aim of this class to equip the students with basic competencies to:
- Understand diversity, its added value and the challenges around it.
- Reflect on and improve communication skills in a multicultural context with a intercultural approach.
- Develop attitudes and skills that help to fill the gap between cultures.
- Manage cooperation, dialogue, negotiation and conflict transformation with in a multicultural environment.
- To improve the ability to express ourselves clearly in multicultural environments.
Communication processes are at the heart of the course. We will analyze situations with the focus on exploring the multicultural the context in which communication occurs and understanding where the gaps between cultures are and how can we bridge the gaps and to construct a common intercultural ground for collaboration, cooperation and conflict transformation.
We will learn to understand people’s needs, interests and concerns in order to find “win-win” solutions in multicultural contexts.
We will also work in developing positive, empathetic and non-violent communication. We will also look at facilitation and leadership skills in multicultural contexts.